The Glory Days
This blog is about friendship, about the little incidents that make us laugh , cry ,forgive ,get angry ,about incidents that remind us to enjoy life every moment.Incidents that are forgotten as we grow old .This blog will help us reminisce the memories and smile when we look back at our lives..Never cry coz its over , smile coz it happened.

Over the top! - Yaz

By Chowdapa

We were pretty excited when we heard that we are having an arm-wrestling match in our gym. But since guns did not want to participate and since rd wasn’t a member, C-124 had only one participant- ME! I was obviously sacred as our gym was filled with body builders and bouncers. I dreamt of my arm being broken down by the bald guy who used to come to our gym whom we called Brock Lesner cuz he didn’t look a bit smaller than Brock and does biceps curl using shoulder rod with weights more than what we do on chest! But soon I was relieved when our gym instructor Zayed told me “ Abhaaaaaai, weight categories hain, woh heavy weight category pe hoga aur tumare category mein tumare weight waale log hi ladenge!”. Now I was happy as there is a chance that I can win now! On the competition day, me, rd and guns reached early and then we realized that zayed had changed the weight categories and now there are only 2 weight categories as less people turned up. 1. Upto 90 kg 2. Heavy weight i.e above 90 kg. Most of the guys in the gym including me belonged to the first category. Brock and few others were heavy weight. In my category I had to arm wrestle with guys bigger than me.. I thought “What the hell! Who cares, ajao”. The tournament began. To my surprise I could easily defeat everyone pretty easily! No match lasted for more than 3 secs! I realized that these guys are just big and not strong! Brock kept on winning on one side and me on the other! Finals were me vs a 30 year old strong and very aggressive guy and brock v/s one village wrestler who wasn’t that big but very strong! The match b/w Brock and the village guy went for a long time to Brock’s surprise and Brock had to break his forearms to win the tournament. My match lasted again for less than 3 secs but the aggressive dude got too aggressive when I brought him down in a jiffy! He started arguing and started shouting at zayed telling him that I cheated. Zayed knew that I played fair and presented me the trophy. The trophy made me so confident that I even challenged Brock for a match. He refused as his hand was broken(lucky me!). I came back to C-124 as a very proud and chowda Pro Arm Wrestler who won! We celebrated as if I won the World Championship and C-124 became the hub for Arm Wrestling matches. We used to Arm wrestle every damn guy who came to our flat! In College, We even started asking random guys(who look strong) for a friendly arm wrestling match. Rd brought home “Over the Top” movie cd which is a movie based on Arm wrestling and stars Sylvester Stallone as an Arm Wrestler who ends up winning The World Arm wrestling Championship! Yea, that had became our aim after watching that movie and we started working hard for it! We bought 100’s of grippers and searched for Arm wrestling exercises in youtube and started spending more time building our forearms in gym. We studied different techniques [hook, top roll and press] in arm wrestling and started considering ourselves as the best [at least for our age group]. I remained the Undefeated Champion and considered myself Invincible in the game. One day, while orkuting I decided to join the Arm Wrestling Community and decided to challenge anyone of my age group for a Friendly Arm wrestling match. I got a reply the next day from this guy called Sooraj Ohri saying that He is also Invincible and hasn’t been defeated since 2 years i.e from when he started Arm-wrestling. I checked his profile. He was just 19 and had a body almost as good as Sylvester Stallone [Triceps maybe more]. I thought he might be just another strong looking guy but not really that strong, at least not as strong as the Undefeated champion from C-124! He even started calling me and told me different stories on how he defeated a weight lifter who could lift a Toyota Qualis with one hand and stuff like that. I thought this guy must be bluffing. We decided to meet for a friendly match. Since he stayed far, we met at C.P. I saw him coming from the other side.. He didn’t look as built as in his pics. He rather looked slim and tall. We shook hands. Damn! His palm is twice as big as mine and could squeeze it any time! I realized that I am not going for a friendly match but to break my hand! He too realized that he is just gonna arm-wrestle another guy who is not gonna give him any competition. We went to Wimbis and went for the match. At first he took sometime in defeating me. Then I realized that he did that so that I don’t get shocked by my defeat [as I had told him that I was Invincible]. He showed me his biceps and forearms, his biceps was of the shape of a cricket ball with lots of veins and forearms looked liked popeye's with veins bulging out from every possible place like a barb wire rod! It was pure concentrated power. He told me he prefers Arm-wrestling with athletes from body builders as they are more powerful and flexible and that Arm-wrestling is all about power concentration and speed. Then he demonstrated various ways in which he could defeat me! Without folding the palm(20% power), from all the way down(his hands are in the defeated position and asks me to use my full power and then he starts from there and defeats me in a jiffy!). And then the real disaster happened! He told me that actually he is not using his full power and he demonstrated his full power. He asked me to bring his hand down using my full strength and when I was using my full strength he used his full damn strength and brought my hand down “Thud” on the table in a microsecond! This hurt my hand and sprained my fore-arms. From that day I stopped Arm-wrestling! Sooraj is a very nice and friendly guy and didn’t do it intentionally. We became good friends and one day he even came to Amity for some real competition. That will be my next post! :)

 

Post a Comment

5 comments so far.

  1. RD :) June 25, 2008 at 3:00 AM
    apna banda "CHOWDA BANDA"
    apna banda "CHOWDA BANDA"
    dat used to be our Yazz Anthem :)
    He just proved it..
    Keep it going bro..
  2. Anonymous June 26, 2008 at 12:16 AM
    Hey! Nice post Sir! Very well written!:)
  3. Anonymous July 9, 2008 at 2:23 PM
    Hey! why dont you guys start a book?
  4. Chowdapa July 9, 2008 at 5:57 PM
    good idea deepta ..but we wanted to see first, if the incidents of our lives truly make interesting reading ..thanx for the comment..
  5. Gagan July 15, 2008 at 12:21 PM
    very nice !!

Something to say?